He's still on the job. Why the concern?
I mentioned two of them in an earlier chat. Darrell May (once got hit in the back with a shot while looking behind the net) and Jim Hrivnak (once he went down, he could not get up.) To paraphrase a line in one of favorite movies, "Hrivnak stayed down like a slug, it was his only defense."
It turns out you can also find evidence of him going off on Dustin Byfuglien back in '14 after a game.
That was an uneven series for sure. Jack Flaherty was OK, but Dakota Hudson was wild while Michael Wacha served up too much meat. I do expect the rotation to settle down, but right now any number of guys are begging to get bumped by Carlos Martinez in his return. As for the bullpen, it was legitimately good. Even Tyler Webb bounced back with a nice outing.
It's one thing to have a sore shoulder that is getting a bit better all the time. The Cardinals can work with that. His disorientation in the outfield is another matter. Willie McGee must be losing his mind.
The way that worked was this: Next season Coach Q gets the $6 million he had coming in his last year of his Chicago contract. The Hawks pay 70 percent of that to settle his deal. Florida pays him the other 30 percent, the the Panthers pick up his salary at $5.25 million per season for the rest of the deal. Achievement escalators in the contract could push the salary to $7 million. Yes, his arrival will make the team more attractive to free agents and, yes, I believe he will have Florida in the Cup chase next year. That team has significant talent.
That is no joking matter. I'm sure MLB is taking security very seriously for this event.
The G-man has been quote here and there lately, so we know he is still on the job.
There have been discussions between the owners and players about implementing some changes within the time frame of the current contract. The DH and the three-hitter limit for relief pitchers are the front-burner topics. I believe we could see the changes before the next CBA.
Yes, they need to quit nibbling. But that doesn't mean putting pitching right over the heart of the plate as Michael Wacha did. Cardinals starters have seldom struck the right balance this season.
I plan to ask him that when I see him next. He looks fabulous. We used to hoop back in the day at the Kirkwood Y and it looks like he could get back on the court. On the other hand, I am 40 pounds and at least 10 years removed that possibility . . .
Yeah, players love that saying -- managers can only lose games, not win them. That is absurd, of course, but it makes players feel better about striking out with the bases loaded or hanging a slider. Managing is way more than Xs and Os. Managing is also knowing the mental, emotional and physical capability of each player at each point of every game. The analytics crowd downplays the instinctive nature of managing, seeing it as a board game instead. So we're seeing more color-by-number managers and fewer Whitey Herzog types managing with guile and gut feelings.
There is some incentive for playing, so Cincinnati can live without the home date income. As for the stadium employees, they are SOL. It's a long drive to Mexico to hawk peanuts and beer.
Dale Hunter was a crazy man, as Pierre Turgeon can tell you. He coached the Capitals for a while before returning to the junior ranks. Terry OReilly was very tough. Barry Melrose was a ruffian. Jim (I Reufse To) Playfair had an ugly temper. Pat Quinn didn't play long, but he was monstrous for his time and he destroy Bobby Orr with an epic check,
Smooth move! I know in St. Louis, many kids gained side-door entry to the Arena. The place was not guarded like Fort Knox. As far my own stupid activity, I was a founding Antler at Mizzou. Lots of stupidity there. One game we wore underwear on the outside for some reason. We were outraged at the officiating of John "Hamster Head" Overby. One of our guys rushed the court and got arrested. Me? I just threw my underwear on the court.
The Jets will have a big push. The usual flow of these series has the home team bouncing back for Game 2, then the momentum shifs when the series shifts cities. Given the even matchup, that is what I would expect.
I do like the Blues in the series, especially after Game 1. So I'm like BenFred and others, Blues in 6.